Saturday, January 26, 2013

Friday Night Lites and Darks - Big Choice Brewing / Arvada Beer Company

In Texas, Friday nights are all about High School football under the lights.  Coach Taylor and the Dillon Panthers.  Clear Eyes.  Full Hearts.  Can't Lose.  Here in Colorado, it's all about the brews.  For quite some time now, a group of my friends that I run with, get together ever Friday to do a run from a different brewpub.  The run is usually pretty low key and easy.  Not so with the drinking, discussion, and friendly insults tossed around afterwards.

So I figure I'll compare and contrast my last two Friday Night Runs.



A few weeks ago the run was at Big Choice Brewing in Broomfield.   Big Choice is located in an industrial park off of West 120 Ave.   Not exactly a picturesque setting.  But luckily there is a bike path just a few blocks away that leads to the Big Dry Creek Trail.  So it made for a decent run.

Big Choice itself has two levels.  The first floor has the bar, a few of tables, and the brewing area.  Upstairs is a large window looking down into the brewing area, along with a few more tables, a picnic table, a couch, some nice TV's and a free foosball table (donated by a loyal customer).  The decor is okay, the lighting is a bit bright. I do have to say I am a fan of the free foosball.  Like many taprooms, they don't serve food, but there are a number of nearby places that will deliver.  And they typically will have food trucks on hand.

The beers are okay as well.  On this night I had their Brown Ale and their Disconnected Red Ale.  The red was much drier than I expected.  The Brown didn't really leave an impression.  Both beers were serviceable, but neither was special.  I have been told their Pablano Stout is outstanding.  (My co-worker loved it and I generally trust his beer tasting opinion. )   I had a taster.  Maybe I just wasn't in a stout mood and so didn't really give it a chance, but it didn't do anything for me.  I will try it again.

I always give any place more than one opportunity.  So at some time, I will be back.  But it's not high on my list.  The consensus of the group seems to be the same.  Big Choice likely will do well as their isn't much in the area outside of the chain brewers, Gordon Biersch and C.B. Pott's near Flatirons Mall. And Rock Bottom in Westminster Promenade.  I also have to say, Big Choice's logo confuses me.  What are they getting at with this?  A compass to guide you thru the many choices out there?

As of now Big Choice's rankings :
(Will get around to describing ranking system in full detail in later blog.  But it's based on level of Brisco's tail wags.  1 : Tail tucked between legs. Fearfully.  2 : Tail is sticking straight out.  Nothing to be afraid of but not excited.  3 : Tail is lazily wagging back and forth.  Something is going on.  4 : Tail is sticking up and starting to wag not just back and forth, but also in circles.  I'm getting excited, maybe someone is going to play ball with me.  5 :  Crazy, out of control, tail wagging has taken over.  The whole butt is shaking.  Somebody is home and we definitely are going to play ball.  This is beyond exciting.)

Food : N/A
Ambience : 3 Tail Wags.  A bit overly bright.  Do like the couch and foosball table.  Bar is okay.
Staff : 3 Tail Wags.  The do have a server who serves upstairs but found it quicker to just go to the bar. The bartenders did seem nice and quick to serve.
Beer : 3 Tail Wags.  Beer was okay.  Nothing wowed me.

Overall : 3 Tail Wags.





This past Friday, we completely left the Boulder Bubble and headed down to Arvada.  I don't necessarily have many fond memories of my time commuting and working in Arvada, but one thing I did enjoy and miss, is Olde Town Arvada.   This few block area has a number of great bars, including the Grandview, along with a fantastic bakery, Rheinlander Bakery, and a cool candy store, Scrumptious.  And opening right about the time I got a job in Boulder and no longer would be hanging out in Aravada, the Arvada Beer Company.  Bad timing.

Like Big Choice, there is a bike path nearby, the Ralston Creek Path. The relatively warm temps (in the 40s) and full moon made for a relatively pleasant run.  I was beginning to feel beat up and get the dead leg syndrome after putting together a couple of good week's of training in.  This 7 days had gone like this : Sat - 10K hard snowshoe race.  Sun : Ski hard at Vail.  Mon : Easy run at Fleet Feet.  Tues : Tempo run dodging cows on Bobolink.  Wed : Hard snowshoe race at night at Eldora.  Thurs : Wake up and do hill workout in morning.  Fri : Glad to have easy day and enjoy a few beers.

I started with their Floyd's ESB, which they were offering on Nitro.  Always get the nitro version of a beer.  So much better.  This was a good ESB.  It had very nice bitterness to it.  But the nitro also made it smooth and easy to drink.  Much better than the ESB at Big Choice.  I was impressed already.   I had a taste of the PoolHall Porter my friend had ordered.  It had a good nuttiness to it, how I like a porter to be.  So far Arvada Beer Co was 2 for 2.  My second order was the Renovator Doppelbock.  This beauty was 9.7% ABV and served in a 10oz snifter glass.  Extremely smooth with a hint of caramel aftertaste.  Arvada Beer Co was batting 1.000.  Unfortunately I had driven so was done after these two, but will be back.

The taproom is fairly large area with quite a few tables.  The place has a nice feel, not overly bright like Big Choice.  Very open room.  Tables were close to each other.  They have board games that you can grab and play.  They also don't serve food, but there are many options close by that will deliver.  And Manneken Frites is in the same building, right down the hall, so you can enjoy your pomme frites with a variety of different dipping sauces as well as getting some Vienna Beef hot dogs.  Didn't try any this night, but was very tempted.  Did stop at the candy store, right next to the taproom for some chocolate for the ride home.

Ratings :
Food : N/A - But do have many choices closely available.  And with Manneken Frites connected to them, it probably makes for some good beer grub.
Ambience : 3.5 Tail Wags.  Open area in a cool, old building in Olde Town.  Good place to hang out and have a few beers.
Staff : 3.5 Tail Wags.  Server came by quickly after sitting down.  Didn't have to wait around for a second drink.  Didn't really interact with the staff on this night.
Beer : 4 Tail Wags.  Was impressed with their beer.  Good quality.  Worth the drive to Arvada.

Overall : 3.75  Tail Wags

No comments:

Post a Comment